Our Blogging Rules

1.) Don't forget that the world is your audience!
2.) Your posts need to be written like friendly letters. Begin with a greeting, end with a closing, and sign only your first name.
3.) All posts must begin with a topic sentence.
4.) Complete sentences must be used.
5.) Do your best to spell words correctly.
6.) All comments will be approved by Mrs. Springston before being posted for all to see.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Chapter 3: The Borrowers

Hello Literature Circle A,

We just finished reading chapter 3 of The Borrowers.  On page 25 Homily tells her daughter, Arrietty, "You don't know-and thank goodness will never know what it's like upstairs..."

Based on this portion of the text please respond to the following in a paragraph:  Why do you think Arrietty has never been upstairs?  Why do you think Homily doesn't want her daughter to ever go upstairs?  Lastly, please predict if you think that it is true that Arrietty will never go upstairs and why you think that.

Please push your thinking to answer this question fully.  I can't wait to read your responses.

Thanks,
Mrs. Springston

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mrs.S,

    I think that Arrietty never went up stairs because her mother never let her upstairs. Why I think that her mother will never let her upstairs because she might get caught just like her father. Lastly I think that Arrietty will go upstairs because she wants to know what is up there.

    Your friend,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mrs.S,

    I think Arriety has never been upstairs because Pod and Homily don't allow her and she was and is too young. I think Homily doesn't want her daughter to go upstairs because she thinks Arriety is too unexperienced and too young. I don't think it is true that Arriety will never go upstairs because if she doesn't, the story would seem incomplete and I think Arriety might sneek out.

    From,
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mrs.S,
    I think Arriety has never been upstairs because her mom never let her go upstairs. Homily doesn't want Arriety to go upstairs because if she gets seen she will either be kept and treated like a pet or they would have to move if sh gets seen. I think she will go upstairs because if I was right by a place I haven't been and I was standing there for all my life I would try to sneak up there.

    Sincerely,
    Joseph

    ReplyDelete