Hi Literature Students,
"Travelers and Traders" and "Rain or Shine" are both non-fiction texts. We know that non-fiction texts are organized by different text features such as pictures, captions, headings, sub-headings, table of contents, glossary, index, etc. Flip through your text once again to see notice each of these elements. Then, please write a short paragraph giving three reasons why text features are so important in following and understanding non-fiction. Let these questions guide your thinking:
How can pictures help us to better understand?
Why do the pictures need captions?
Why would the author decide to include a glossary?
How do headings help with the organization of the text?
Thanks,
Mrs. Springston
Our Blogging Rules
1.) Don't forget that the world is your audience!
2.) Your posts need to be written like friendly letters. Begin with a greeting, end with a closing, and sign only your first name.
3.) All posts must begin with a topic sentence.
4.) Complete sentences must be used.
5.) Do your best to spell words correctly.
6.) All comments will be approved by Mrs. Springston before being posted for all to see.
2.) Your posts need to be written like friendly letters. Begin with a greeting, end with a closing, and sign only your first name.
3.) All posts must begin with a topic sentence.
4.) Complete sentences must be used.
5.) Do your best to spell words correctly.
6.) All comments will be approved by Mrs. Springston before being posted for all to see.
Monday, October 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dear Mrs.S,
ReplyDeleteThese are the ways that text fetures help me understand imformation. 1 way they help me is when I read something the captions help me find more details about that. And a 2nd way they help me are when I get stuck on a word I go to the glossary to look up that word. The last way they help me is when I want to look for a certain chapter I can just turn to th table of contents and find that chapter.
Sincerely,Joseph
Dear Mrs. S,
ReplyDeleteThese are the ways that text features help me understand non-fiction. First, the glossary helps me if I don't know words.Next,the table of contents helps me how many chapters there are.Finally,captions help me understand the pictures.
Sincerley,
Edgar
Dear Mrs.S
ReplyDeleteThese are the ways text features help me understand things in the book. One thing that helps me is the pictures. The pictures help me because they help me understand the page or the pages. The second thing that helps me understand is the Contents page. It tells me where the thing or things I am looking for are. Lastly, the caption near the pictures help me understand because it tells me more about what the picture shows. These are the ways the text features help me.
From,
Jay
Dear Mrs.S,
ReplyDeleteWell,
pictures help me if the paragraph's meaning is hard. I look at the picture and
think, and some how it helps me.If it's a chapter book, and it's hard, I read it again
until I understand.
When the picture doesn't work I read the caption, and it gives me more ideas
than the pictures.
When there is a word I don't know, I look in the glossary to find the
meaning.Glossary are better than dictionary because glossary are mini
dictionary and it's faster to look it up.
Headings are important because it tells what the book is about.
Your friend
Justin
Dear Mrs S,
ReplyDeleteFirst, the captions help me if I don't know what the picture is showing. If the captions don't help me maby the text will help me. The glossary helps me if I do not know what a word means I can look it up in the glossary.
From,
Andrea